Would you like to learn how to speak Spanish but simply do not know where to begin? This article will help you discover some of the most basic (but also very useful) Spanish words for beginners. It will also introduce you to some Spanish grammar for beginners. It is understandable that taking the first step in learning a new language can often be the most difficult step, but Blablalang would love to help you out!
Here at Blablalang, we believe that the best way to start with your Spanish language journey is to learn a short list of a few key words and then build on this. Learning a few basic concepts will give you a good feel for what Spanish is like and most people love the romantic and exotic sound of Spanish.
List of Spanish words for beginners
These are some of the basic Spanish words that you can learn to get started:
- ¡Hola! — Hello!
- ¡Gracias! — Thank you!
- ¡Muchas gracias! — Thank you very much!
- Por favor — Please (generally used at the end of a sentence)
- ¡De nada! — You’re welcome!
- ¡Perdona! — Excuse me!
- ¡Disculpe! / ¡Discúlpeme!— Excuse me! (used to apologize in advance for being a bit of a bother)
- ¡Lo siento! — Sorry! (In case you make a mistake)
Ask questions in Spanish
- ¿Qué…? — What…?
- ¿Quién…? — Who…?
- ¿Cuándo…? — When…?
- ¿Cuál…? — Which…?
- ¿Cómo…? — How…?
- ¿Dónde…? — Where…?
- ¿Por qué…? — Why…?
Answers in Spanish
- Sí — Yes.
- No — No.
- Tal vez — Maybe.
Other basic answers
- Siempre — Always.
- Nunca — Never.
- Claro — Of course.
- ¡Sin problema! — No problem!. Spanish people usually add “claro” at the end.
- No lo sé — I don’t know!
- No entiendo. ¿Puedes repetirlo por favor? — I don’t understand! Could you please repeat it?
- No tengo ni idea — or just “ni idea” – I have no idea!
- No hablo español — I don’t speak Spanish (Note the lowercase in “español”)
- Mi español no es bueno — My Spanish isn’t very good.
Say Goodbye in Spanish
- Adiós — Goodbye
- Chao — Bye
- Hasta luego — See you later
Once you have mastered this list of basic words and phrases, you will be in a position to have a Spanish conversation for beginners. This includes some basic questions, greetings and phrases that are the backbone of every language.
Now that you know the Spanish words for beginners. Do you want to keep learning Spanish? Check our post about basic Spanish phrases for beginners.
You will also be able to understand basic sentences in Spanish, which comes in very useful when you are traveling to a Spanish-speaking country.
Of course, after learning these basic concepts in Spanish, you will be very tempted to take your Spanish speaking ability to the next level.
If this sounds like you, Blablalang can help you to learn how to speak, write and communicate in Spanish at your own pace and with the help of qualified, professional and friendly teachers.
Whether you are a student, a busy professional or a stay-at-home mom, we can offer you flexible lessons that are based around your schedule.